The 2017 Mooting Tournament is proudly sponsored by:
What is Mooting?
For aspiring Barristers, budding researchers or people who just enjoy combining legal research with public speaking then mooting is the competition for you! A ‘moot’ is simulated court proceeding – generally at an appellant level – that places two teams against each other arguing each side of a legal dispute. A hypothetical scenario is provided several weeks prior to the moot, which contains the factual circumstances and legal issues surrounding the matter. Teams must first construct their written argument to submit to the judges and opponents prior to the moot (at least 24 hours). Teams are then required to stand up argue the merits of their case in order to persuade a judge or panel of judges to rule in their favour. Teams are scored on the quality of their:
- written submissions;
- legal knowledge;
- response to questions from the bench; and
- courtroom etiquette.
People who moot develop extensive skills in oral communication, legal writing and research, advocacy, court procedure and etiquette, and teamwork. Whether you have a career in advocacy in mind or not, mooting considerably advances each competitors’ understanding, application and knowledge of the law.
“The most beneficial and enjoyable part of Mooting was how much a real life experience was created, which even as a first year, begun the development of my practical legal skills. Mooting is an opportunity not to be missed and I would highly recommend it to all law students of any experience level.” – Patrick Plumb, first year law student in 2016.
Problem released: 10 July 2017
Registration closes: 18 July 2017
Appellant submissions due: 7 August 2017
Respondent submissions due: 14 August 2017
Preliminary rounds: 19 and 20 August 2017
Semi-finals: 3 September 2017
Grand Final: 15 September 2017
2017 Griffiths Parry Lawyers Mooting Tournament
- 2017 Griffiths Parry Lawyers Mooting Tournament By-Laws
- 2017 Griffiths Parry Lawyers Mooting Tournament Rules
- 2017 Griffiths Parry Lawyers Mooting Tournament Preliminary Round Scenario
- 2017 Griffiths Parry Lawyers Mooting Tournament Preliminary Round Fixture
- 2017 Griffiths Parry Lawyers Mooting Tournament Preliminary Round Results
- 2017 Griffiths Parry Lawyers Mooting Tournament Semi Final Round Scenario
- 2017 Griffiths Parry Lawyers Mooting Tournament Semi Final Round Fixture
- 2017 Griffiths Parry Lawyers Mooting Tournament Grand Final Scenario
Bookings for a seat at the 2017 Griffiths Parry Lawyers Mooting Tournament Grand Final can be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org!